Thursday, March 22, 2012

Shrimp and Grits





Being from South Carolina, when I want to impress my lovers, I cook them this for brunch/breakfast. If it doesn't kill them, I hope it makes them fall more deeply in love with me. Ha ha! Enjoy courtesy of the late Representative Floyd Spence. 


Ingredients


1/2 pound raw shrimp, peeled
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Salt to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
3 Tablespoons bacon grease
1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 to 3/4 cup hot water or stock* (chicken, vegetable, or shrimp)
Grits (serving for 2 - 4)

In a bowl, sprinkle the shrimp with lemon juice, salt, and cayenne pepper. Set aside. Heat the bacon grease in a skillet and saute the onion and pepper over medium heat until onions become transparent. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir constantly, until the flour begins to brown. Add the shrimp with a little of the juice and about 3/4 cup water or stock, stirring constantly and turning shrimp so they cook evenly. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the shrimp are done and the gravy is uniformly smooth, thinning with a little extra liquid if necessary.

Cook grits according to package directions. I recommend cooking the grits in any leftover broth and adding a small amount of heavy cream to them just before serving.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Truly one of my favorite meals - although I have never cooked it. :)